Information specific to: Benadryl Plus capsules.
About Benadryl Plus capsules and how it works
This medicine is used to treat allergic rhinitis or hay fever. It contains two medicines, acrivastine and pseudoephedrine. Acrivastine belongs to a group of medicines called antihistamines. These medicines block the action of a chemical in the body called histamine which is involved in allergic reactions. This helps reduce the symptoms of allergies such as redness, itching and swelling. Pseudoephedrine is a decongestant which reduces swelling inside the nose and helps ease breathing.
This medicine is available as capsules which are taken by mouth.
Speak to your doctor if your symptoms do not improve or if they get worse during treatment with this medicine.
Before using Benadryl Plus capsules
This medicine may not be suitable for everyone and some people must never have it. Check the leaflet that comes with your medicine to make sure that the medicine is suitable before having it.
Always get advice from a healthcare professional before having this medicine if:
- you are allergic or sensitive to or have had a reaction to any of the ingredients in the medicine or to the medicine triprolidine
- this medicine is for a child under 12 years of age
- you are elderly
- you have high blood pressure
- you have heart and circulation problems
- you have kidney problems
- you have diabetes
- you have thyroid problems
- you have raised pressure inside your eyes
- you have prostate problems
If you are taking more than one medicine they may interact with each other. Before taking this medicine consult your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines including vitamins, supplements and herbal or complementary preparations.
The following medicines may interact with this medicine:
- monoamine oxidase inhibitors – you should not take this medicine within two weeks of having a monoamine oxidase inhibitor
- medicines for high blood pressure
- central nervous system depressants
- tricyclic antidepressants
- other sympathomimetics like decongestants, appetite suppressants, or amphetamine-like stimulants
- alpha blockers
- beta blockers
Possible side effects of Benadryl Plus capsules
Most medicines can cause some side-effects but not everyone having the same medicine will get the same side-effects.
The following side-effects have been associated with people taking this medicine:
- central nervous system excitation such as sleep disturbances or hallucinations
- skin irritation
- urinary retention
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
If you are trying to become pregnant, are pregnant, or are breast-feeding, you should seek medical advice before having this medicine.
Other important information
Make sure that you read the leaflet that comes with your medicine to check what dose you should take and if there is anything that you need to do if you take more than the recommended dose. If you are in any doubt about whether this medicine is suitable for you, speak to your doctor or pharmacist.
This medicine may affect your ability to drive or operate machinery. Do not drive or operate machinery until you know how this medicine affects you.
This medicine may interact with alcohol. It is best to avoid alcoholic drinks while you are taking this medicine.
Keep all medicines out of the sight and reach of children.